Monday, July 22, 2013

Cake!!!

This is the first vegan cake that I have ever made and I am completley excited to explain whats inside of it. It took a lot of imagination but I did it. I loved it, I am not sure if the guest did, but I could have licked the spoon.
 First, I looked into the baking cupboards and pulled out any ingredient that might be good in a cake. I decided I wanted to make three different layers: vanilla, strawberry, and chocolate. I also made a banana bread for my pops.
 Strawberries 
Mashed Banana  
Flax egg....2 tsp flax seed and 2-3 tbs water 
 Strawberry mixture 
 Chocolate mixture
 Melted chocolate to make it extra chocolaty 

 The chocolate mixture is ready 
 I added green food coloring to the "vanilla" cake to make it look fun
 I didn't know how to make vegan icing....I had powdered sugar....but no cream. so I experimented
 The trick was a mashed banana...surprise surprise 
 I guess I didn't learn my colors in primary school and get blue confused with green...this is the green layer. 
 Strawberry layer.....
 Topped with bananas, strawberries, peaches, almonds, coconut, sprinkles, "icing", and almonds
 lets look one more time....
 just once more
Okay that's the last one. 
I swear!!!

In case you were wondering.....here are the ingredients: 

Strawberry cake:
1 c strawberries (pureed)
2 tsp of flax seed meal
1 small jar of applesauce 
1 tsp of vanilla extract
1 tsp of baking powder
as much cinnamon as you want 
2 tbs of agave
1/4 cup of soy-milk 
1/2 cup of flour 

Chocolate cake:
2 tsp of flax seed meal
3 tbs of carob powder
1 small jar of applesauce
1 tsp of vanilla extract
1 tsp of baking powder
as much cinnamon as you want
2 tbs of agave
2/3 cup of soy-milk
1/2 cup of flour
1/2 square of baker's chocolate

Vanilla Cake:
2 tsp of flax seed meal
1 small jar of applesauce
2 tsp of vanilla extract
1 tsp of baking powder
as much cinnamon as you want
2 tbs of agave
2/3 cup of soy-milk
2/3 cup of flour
2 tbs of water

Directions: same for all the cakes:
first mix the flax seed meal with a bit of water until it is dissolved.
then for each cake mix all the wet ingredients
then gradually add all the dry ingredients
pour into a greased cooking pan and bake for about 45 min to an hour at 350 degrees.
note: the strawberry cake may need a bit more time, once it is cooled it will get "sturdy".

ICING
1 banana (mashed)
about 1/3 c of sugar (idk, I forgot to measure)
about 1-2 tbs of soy-milk

mixed all up and store in fridge so that it can harden a little and use when ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment