Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Pea Burgers

Before you say anything, the title of this post was meant entirely as a joke. The burgers are made out of green peas....and if you dink enough water when you eat them, they will make you go pee. Okay, cruel humor is over. 

Peas are actually very underestimated in ones diet. When I think of people eating peas, I always have a mental image of people eating the nasty looking frozen peas in ready meals. But cooked or canned peas do have nutritional benefits:
Some highlights:
4 grams of protein, 
4 grams of dietary fiber 
36% RDA of Vit A

Therefore, in combination with other wholesome food, peas are a good for you food. 

To make these patties (ahah my name is Paty) I used black beans 
The peas look unappetizing...but we are experimenting  

And a bunch of other stuff so it looks like a raw mess 

I baked them and now they look like some weird cookie 

Served with salad, sweet potato, salsa and homemade hummus 

It was actually really good. I would even make them a little bigger so they fit in a burger bun and top with hummus and avocado......mmmhh.....I need to go to the store I am making myself hungry. 

I hate how I always type these before dinner so I just stare at picture of food while my tummy grumbles 

Ingredients:
 1/2 c cooked couscous
1 c peas
1/2 cup black beans
1 c mushrooms
1/2 squash
1 tbs flax
1/2 c oats
1/4 c onion
Salt, Cumin, Chili powder to taste

Directions: 
Blend the peas in a blender (I like them a little "choppy" because I like to see whats in my food)
Then blend the mushrooms, squash, flax seeds until smooth 
Pour everything into a bowl and combine. I like to add a lot of chili powder (probably about 1/2 tsp worth) and about 1/4 tsp of cumin. 

Make little balls out of them (about 10) and flatten them out and place on a cookie sheet and bake in the oven at 350 for 40 minutes (flip half-way). 

No comments:

Post a Comment