Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Leftover Quinoa Sweet potato bars

Have you ever cooked so much of a type of grain and had so much leftover, you didn't want to eat? Well, enter the beauty of a granola bar. You can pretty much throw anything in there and it will practically always taste good.
I was in luck, we had leftover quinoa and sweet potatoes. Therefore I decided to make quinoa sweet potato bars!

The first step was to soak my dates in a tiny bit of water just so that could re-hydrate. They were sooo dry it would have broken my food processor. 

I also like to soak my chia seeds because I am weird. But you don't have to. 

Blend the dates....

Leftover potato

Leftover potato and banana puree 

Enter a random mix of dry goods: cereal, quinoa, dried blueberries, dried cranberries, flax seed meal, wheat germ, sunflower seeds.....I think that IT!

wait, how can I forget the cinnamon 

mix mix mix 
Then I realized I forgot the oats! So quickly mix those in. Silly me

These are the best!

Tip, freeze for 1-2 hours and then cut in pieces and bake for a crispy texture 

Bake 

done! 

Wow, that sounded like a painful process, but I assure you they were delicious and full of all types of super-food

Ingredients: 
1.5 cups of oats
1 banana
9 medjoul dates
1 sweet potato (baked)
1/2 cup of agave
1/4 cup of chia seeds
1/3 cup of almond butter
1/2 cup of sunflower seeds 
(I was also going to add cashews but my sister picked up the honey sesame kind....uh no!
I think she purposely did it so she can eat for a snack anyway when we were at the store and I told her to grab a cashew)
1/4 cup of flaxmeal
1/2 cup of wheat germ
1/4 cup of each: blueberries (died) and cranberries (dried)
1.5 cups of cereal (I used rice cereal)
1 cup cooked quinoa 

Basically you can follow the above procedure. Mix all the wet and dry ingredients. Common sense. 
Bake for about 30 minutes. 


No comments:

Post a Comment