Thursday, January 16, 2014

Switching Focus

Does anyone else have a fascination with numbers and tend to count calories all the time? I know, I used to focus on the amount of calories I ate, which lead to a disordered eating mindset. I know, that it also backfires and leads to unhealthy eating. Instead of focusing on whole fruits and vegetables. Eating when I was hungry or eating to nourish my body, I tended to focus on HOW MUCH I could eat. If I wanted to eat a chocolate bar or treat myself to some ice cream after dinner, I would already "save" those calories for dessert. Therefore, I tended to eat a simple fulfilling dinner which included lettuce with some extra lettuce which lacked the protein, fat, carbs, vitamins and minerals I needed for the day in order to fulfill my cravings with sugar.

Why did I do this? It fit my calorie budget and instead of focusing on what I needed I focused on what I craved. Why did I crave this? I only craved sugar (bad carbs) because I was essentially eating a low carb diet which restricted my good carb intake. When you solely focus on calories, you go by instinct and desire instead of actually thinking about what your body needs. Calorie restriction leads to deprivation which causes the mind to freak out and binge (well, at least in my case).
When fitting all the calories in the bank, you may feel like you have been cheated out of your meal. For example, if you were to eat a burger (approx. 500 cals), fries (250 cals, for a small), and a coke (160 for a small) you have already consumed around 910 calories for one meal. 
WHAT! OMG! I have nothing left to eat.......
Panic starts, and then you turn to carrots and lettuce just so you don't "starve" but you don't enjoy it. Why? Because you see them as foods that have no flavor. Foods that are there to keep you from starving and they aren't aesthetically pleasing. Sure carrots might look cute, but they don't smell good. If anything, they might smell a little like dirt. 
In the picture above the apple weights more than a doughnut. I would say this is true on two levels. 
1. The apple is really heavier in weight. 
2. Its more nutritionally dense. Yes, an apple is naturally sweet which means it has carbohydrates. However, they have not been processed or refined as those in the doughnut. When simple carbohydrates (donuts) enters the body, the body is confused because it doesn't know what to do with it. Normally when carbohydrates enter the body (think fruits and starchy veggies), the body had to break the glucose molecules down. Extract what it can to produce energy. The body runs on carbohydrates. However, when something is already done for the body (simple carbs) it just kicks back and does nothing. Which is why people gain weight. Their food isn't making their body work. 
So instead of putting a limit on vegetables, fruits, whole grains and natural plant based sources of protein and fats. I say, we need to switch from calorie counting to making sure we are eating nutrient dense foods to make sure we are feeding our body adequately. Also making sure we are making our body work for us! 

Just some pictures so you understand why you can eat XX amount of calories (ex. potato chips, cookies, bread) and not get full. 


No comments:

Post a Comment