Thursday, January 9, 2014

Coconut Barley Pudding

If anyone here is Hispanic, I am pretty sure what you know what "Arroz con Leche" is. Rice pudding. My mom was making some the other day, and I instantly wanted some, so I made my own variation using pearled barley. 
Even my dad liked it! Well, I guess that isn't saying much because that man seriously eats everything. 

I topped mine with sunflower seeds and cranberries for an extra seasonal kick. And I loved it.
It even tasted better the next day when it was cold. All the flavors just soaked into the barley and made it awesome!

FYI: For some reason, when this was cooking, it smelled kinda funky, I didn't like the smell. But it turned out great!

Ingredients:
1 c Raw barley (cooked to directions)
1 can of coconut milk 
2 tbs of sugar/agave 
1 tbs of cinnamon 
1 tbs of vanilla 
1 cup of pumpkin (I used the actual vegetable/fruit, and chopped it and added it in)
1 apple (chopped)

Directions: 
1. Cook barley to directions 
(stove-top or crock-pot)
2. When the barley is cooked (drain it of water and add the coconut milk)
bring to boil (if using stove)
3. Add apple, sugar, pumpkin, cinnamon, and vanilla and let simmer for about 30 minutes (until pumpkin and apple are translucent)

Top with cranberries and sunflower seeds

No comments:

Post a Comment